Polymer Technology Ireland, the Ibec group that represent the polymer technology sector in Ireland, has launched its 2020 strategy ‘Polymer technology: The backbone of Irish manufacturing’ setting out how the industry is driving manufacturing growth and adding high quality jobs in Ireland.
Polymer technology is a growing industry in Ireland with the number of companies rising to 230 which boasts an annual turnover of €2.1 billion. This has driven strong jobs growth of 7.7% in the past couple of years with 7,000 now working across Ireland with major hubs in Athlone, Limerick, Galway, Sligo, Dublin, Cork and Waterford.
The high-tech polymer industry is a driver of innovation in the medtech, ICT, biopharma, agri-food and automotive sectors. As well as being an industry of regional significance, the polymer sector is making a global impact with 77% of sales exported worth €1.62 billion annually.
Strategic priorities outlined in ‘Polymer technology: The backbone of Irish manufacturing’:
- Represent the polymer sector: Represent the Irish polymer industry at both a national and international level; advocate for polices that support growth; and support an ambitious national planning strategy to address the needs of the country
- Build awareness of the value of the polymer industry to key stakeholders: Showcase the scale and diversity of the high-tech polymer industry; provide information on the sector’s role in supporting health sector and environment
- Deliver high quality information to Polymer Technology Ireland members: Improve awareness of market developments and areas of focus such as skills, the circular economy, health and safety as well as trade
- Support the development of a world class talent pool for the polymer sector: Make Ireland a leader in talent development, develop the First Polymer Skilnet centre to help people reskill and upskill, grow the apprenticeship, raise awareness of exciting career opportunities in the sector
- Provide opportunities to maximise business to business engagement and support business development: Facilitate interaction with relevant sectors, identify opportunities and new markets in light of trends, and collaborate with strategic partners.